Turkey suspended on Thursday all competitions in four major sports: football, basketball, handball and volleyball across the country amid growing coronavirus concerns.
The decision was announced by Mehmet Kasapoglu, Turkey’s youth and sports minister in a news conference in the capital Ankara.
Last week, all sports events nationwide were held without any spectators.
Meanwhile, the International Federation of Professional Footballers asked the Turkish Football Federation to postpone all league games.
“FIFPRO has written to the Turkish #SuperLig and federation asking them to urgently reconsider the decision to continue matches and training during the #coronavirus outbreak,” FIFPro tweeted on Thursday.
It added that several foreign players contacted FIFPro, saying they were worried about COVID-19.
Yesterday, Nigerian midfielder Mikel John Obi parted ways with Turkish football club Trabzonspor, refusing to play due to the pandemic.
Mikel, 32, said he wasn’t comfortable, and did not want to play football in the current situation.
“Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times,” he said on Instagram.
Turkey has so far reported 191 positive virus cases with two deaths.
© Anadolu Agency